Registered Yoga Teacher

I am a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200) teaching group classes outside.
If you want to be notified by email or text of class times, use the contact form to let me know.

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Sitting Gets Complicated

I have been meditating somewhat regularly for a couple years now (and sporadically before that). I say "somewhat" because I always take some periods of time off and then get back into it.

One of the things I am experimenting with right now is how to sit during meditation. For more than a year I'd been sitting cross-legged (sometimes half lotus), which has precipitated a recent meditation break. My hips and back were not loving the rotation.

Now that I've reclaimed my meditation practice, I am trying out different sitting styles. During my morning meditation I am sitting in rock pose with my legs under me, sitting on my heels. I am sitting on a stack of blocks to reduce the stress on my knees. I do find this pose lets my back relax since it tips my pelvis slightly.

During my mid day meditation I am sitting in cobbler's pose with the soles of my feet together. Instead of keeping them close to my body, I leave them out further. While this is still rotation of the hips, it is much gentler than cross legged. And I keep my spine up for the first half and then bend down over my feet for the last half.

During my evening meditation I am sitting with my back somewhat supported on the wall and my legs straight out, knees bent over a bolster. This is great for my back but I find the wall uncomfortable so I'm going to try a small pillow between my back and the wall.

I find it is a fine balance between wanting to challenge my body to sit during meditation but still providing it enough comfort that it doesn't become a distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment