Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What is Karma Yoga?

I've been telling everyone that I'm heading to Yasodhara Ashram for the month of April to do Karma Yoga. But what is Karma Yoga? Most people are familiar with karma, at least in a general sense. The idea of you reap what you sow. That you can create both good and negative karma depending on your actions. There are many paths of Yoga. They include Jnana Yoga (Yoga of Knowledge), Bhakti Yoga (Yoga of Devotion) and others. Among them is Karma Yoga, the Yoga of selfless service. The idea with Karma Yoga is that we give of ourselves for the sole purpose of honoring the Divine. What does Karma Yoga mean at Yasodhara Ashram? I won't know what my tasks will be until they are given to me but they could include housekeeping, gardening or kitchen prep. Essentially Karma Yoga at the Ashram is doing those things that keeps the Ashram running. That is my purpose for the next month. Stay tuned here to find out what I end up doing as my Karma Yoga throughout my trip.

1 comment:

  1. Karma Yoga is the path of action most of us are on probably. Certainly those who have no belief still have the results of their actions and thoughts to deal with.

    ReplyDelete