Registered Yoga Teacher

I am a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200) teaching group classes outside.
If you want to be notified by email or text of class times, use the contact form to let me know.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Dreams

Who determines whether your dream is valid? Who decides that something is worthy?

As a child, I was encouraged to "shoot for the stars", generally at that time considered to be a doctor or lawyer. I was told I could be anything I wanted. I wanted to be a secretary and a teacher (and I believed I would be rich because of the double career).

As a teenager, I was told I would be going to university, it was just a matter of what path and which one (and there were only 2 options given). Given those parameters, I chose to go into Computer Science.

At 17, I realized I didn't want to be in Computer Science and my options appeared to be limited to other disciplines at the university I was at. I chose Environmental Systems Engineering.

At 20, I was restless and a career counsellor gave me many options in the environmental field and I chose to study Groundwater Engineering Technology.

Throughout my environmental career I remained restless, always feeling like the grass was greener elsewhere. I took many other courses but never found a home. At 34, I decided to follow one of my dreams and become a Yoga Teacher.

Today I am a full-time Yoga teacher (with contract work supplementing my income). There is no greener grass. I am fulfilled and content.

And yet, when I did some research I found that 85% of Yoga Teachers in BC make less than $25,000 per year teaching. I'm still in that 85% but I work full-time because this is my calling and I believe that before long I'll be able to support myself teaching. If I had presented this as my career plan as a child, teenager, at 17 or at 20, I'm sure I would have been told to give my head a shake and pick a more practical plan. But without question this is the right path for me.

Who determines whether your dreams are valid?

No comments:

Post a Comment