Thursday, December 9, 2010

Season of Giving

The holiday season is here with all the bells, whistle, sugar and glitter that comes as part of the package. We don't really celebrate Christmas at our house. What I mean by that is that we don't do decorations, presents or really anything special. I'm fine with this, but sometimes it is good to inject some amount of holiday cheer into the season (at least more than a gingerbread latte).

A few years ago I started going to Christmas concerts and keep the tradition alive this year by heading out this Sunday with my friends. And a good friend just invited me to Christmas dinner at her house which sounds great because then I get some of the holiday tradition without having to do the whole meal at our house.

But what I really like about Christmas is the idea of giving. Last year some of us went carolling at one of the long term care facilities in town. It was a great way to give something back to others in our community.

So I started thinking about how I wanted to incorporate giving into this year's holiday. At the same time, my birthday is shortly after Christmas and I was thinking about how to spend that day (last year we went snowshoeing).

I've decided this year to combine giving and my birthday. I've invited my friends for a birthday potluck. In addition to their potluck dish, I've asked them to bring a donation to the food bank. And I'm running a contest where the largest donation will win a prize.

I'm very excited about spending my birthday with my friends, giving back (because I'll have a donation too) and bringing my friends together to give back to the community as well. Suddenly the season seems more festive!

No comments:

Post a Comment