Friday, February 25, 2011

To Adjust or Not to Adjust

I hear plenty of things back and forth on whether or not to adjust students during classes. Do we correct their alignment or let them find their own way? I myself am split on this. I am all for whatever works for you and whatever works for your students; this is just my experience at this time.

On the pro-adjustment side, I have had teachers provide me with a bit of an adjustment that has helped me to take a pose deeper. I get more physically and mentally from a pose when I get the alignment just right.

On the other side, I have had adjustments that took me out of the great place I'd found or that distracted me from my mind-body connection. And in the early years, I felt when I was adjusted as if I weren't getting it right.

Generally, I don't do hands on adjustments. Some of my students have requested it and I'm happy to do it occasionally. But I find most of my students who've been with me even a short while have great form and alignment. And the ones who are new, I like to let them get a little comfortable with the poses in general before I start working on their alignment.

I like to adjust by example and by general comments. I choose what to say regarding form by looking at my students. Now that most of my students have great form, I continue to encourage them to take the pose deeper.

One of my students was in Warrior II and looked great in the pose. I suggested that we feel the strength in our front leg and a stretch through our hips and chest. I then saw her adjust her shoulders so that she would have a better stretch through her chest. She found her own way with my guidance. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment