Registered Yoga Teacher

I am a Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT 200) teaching group classes outside.
If you want to be notified by email or text of class times, use the contact form to let me know.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Reflections on Generosity and Respect

Today I'm reflecting on the third Yama: Asteya (respect and generosity). Traditionally, this Yama is interpreted as non-stealing but I've combined a couple of great Yogini's interpretations into respect and generosity.

Respecting others' property is the obvious first step. Don't take what is not yours. Great, I'm there! Oh, you mean there is more to it? Here's where we get into the deeper meanings. To me Asteya means not taking what isn't mine in every sense. Not taking from the earth what it doesn't have to give, not taking from someone's time that they don't have to give, not taking someone's moment.

For me, I've also been thinking about Asteya being realizing that there really isn't much that is truly mine. And that's not a bad thing. In a world of impermanence, I will enjoy the moment and realize that I need to let it go to get to the next one.

How am I doing working on Asteya? Definitely a work in progress. I have put a lot of work in the last year towards being aware when I am taking more than my share and working to reduce that. From an earth standpoint, most of us have so far to go but I'm choosing to make my impacts my own way.

I just had a great moment of Asteya. My mother lives with me and is retired. She gladly cleans the house, does the laundry and generally takes care of things so that I can work on my business. I have a journal where I record an intentional act of kindness everyday and as I sat here blogging, the washing machine dinged. At first I thought "mom will get that". Then instead I jumped up and thought "intentional act of kindness" and went and put the sheets in the dryer (too cold to hang them today). It doesn't have to be big, but I gave my mom a little time today.

What have I learnt? Being generous feels good. Respecting others feel good. Having boundaries and respecting others' boundaries feel good.

How are you practicing respect and generosity in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment