Saturday, February 18, 2012

Week 7 Challenge - Doing It Right

This year I decided to challenge myself to reflect on various Yoga and Buddhist aspects throughout the year. The challenges come from a variety of places including readings in Deborah Adele's Yamas and Niyamas and Thich Nhat Hanh's Heart of the Buddha's Teaching and Happiness.

This week's challenge was to do it right the first time. To not have to go back to apologize or make it right. To face the hard things head on. This week's challenge was about the Yama Satya (Truthfulness).

Truthfully? Didn't do so well this week. I spent a fair portion of this week in self-indulgence. And when I'm in self-indulgence I tend not to be very mindful. And to me mindfulness is the key to doing things right the first time.

It's not that I was making mistakes all over the week. I was still authentically me. I wasn't doing things that required me to go back to apologize, make things right. I was still doing the hard things. So why didn't it feel like I was?

For me, the hardest thing is to choose self-care over self-indulgence, so it felt like a miss that I was choosing self-indulgence. I wasn't facing the hard thing face on, I was deferring it for another day.

What do I do now? Learn from this experience and move forward with self-care. Stress gets the best of me sometimes and that's okay, but I want to continue learning to be more at peace in each moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment