Thursday, December 23, 2010

Pain-Free Yoga

You have to love headlines. This article: Yoga bad for you knees, Indian doctor warns is a great example. I frowned a little when I read the headline, but this is a great article.

I know people who have gone to Yoga classes, tried something their body wasn't ready for and injured themself. It is also possible I've been this person at times in my practice. I find there are two things going on here.

The first thing is that students may not listen to their bodies' messages. Our bodies tell us when to pull back and we need to practice listening for and heeding these messages. There is a difference between a stretch and a strain. Ideally an instructor will encourage students to listen to their bodies and help them move slowly into more advanced poses to ensure they have time to pull back.

The second thing that happens is we want to get there now! Imagine that; in our fast food-cell phone society we don't want to wait for something. So we want to be able to do our ideal pose right now! But we don't get to choose that. Our bodies can only do what they can do, so let's head back to number 1 and listen to our bodies. And I'll admit that while number 1 doesn't trip me up, this one does. So I have to pay extra attention that I don't push myself too far, too fast.

Listen to your body, love your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment