Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Stepping Out of the Car

Okay, confession time! I've lived in Nanaimo since March 2006 and today was the first time I took the bus. In Vancouver, I didn't even have a car for a while and loved using the transit system. But since moving to the Island, I've become completely car-reliant.

I decided it was time to give our transit system a whirl. Despite the fact that I can see a bus stop out my front window, today I walked for an hour before catching a bus (just to get a good walk in).

Taking the bus meant waiting around where I would normally just go and walking quite a ways when I got to my destination. But I found it pretty easy and enjoyed myself.

What surprised me were the little things I noticed. I viewed the world completely differently from inside the bus, and again on foot. I noticed things I would never notice when I'm zipping by in my car (and hopefully paying attention to the road, not sights I'm passing). I also interacted with 3 people. That's 3 people I would never have spoken to if I'd done my solo car journey.

Looking forward to my next transit travels!

No comments:

Post a Comment