Sunday, January 9, 2011

Curvy Yoga

I saw this post on TeachStreet and loved it: Curvy Yoga Recommends: Expanding into Fullness. I admit, I was drawn to the post simply because of the name. Next week I start teaching a class called Curvy Girls Yoga (same as my Full Figured Yoga, just a jazzier name).

I think it's important that students feel comfortable in a Yoga class. I teach general Hatha Flow classes and work to ensure that any student that shows up is able to do the poses their way, working with them on any modifications they need. But even though all students are welcome at those classes, some do not want to be in an environment where they feel they will be the only one needing modifications.

And here's where niche Yoga really has it's place. Creating Yoga classes that are inviting to those that are intimidated by regular classes. And this includes everything from full figured individuals, those with limited flexibility or mobility, or really anyone that doesn't feel like a "regular" Yoga class is right for them.

The reality is, any student would fit into my "regular" classes great, but I want them to choose the Yoga class they want, and that means I will continue to offer niche classes, including Curvy Girls Yoga.

Go Curvy Yoginis!

No comments:

Post a Comment