Monday, January 17, 2011

Reflections on Compassion

I've spent good portions of the last year studying the Eightfold Path of Yoga. The first limb is Yama, and the first Yama is Ahimsa (non-violence or compassion). I've been thinking about what Ahimsa means to me.

For me, Ahimsa is opening my heart to everyone. That includes those I love, those I don't know and those I don't particularily like. I don't have to like them but open my heart so that I can at least empathize and wish them well.

Compassion also includes compassion for me. I deserve love and I absolutely need it from myself. And because I love Deborah Adele's book, for me Ahimsa also means balance, courage, and letting people live their own lives (and make their own mistakes).

Being vegetarian is also frequently linked to Ahimsa. For my personal philosophy, I agree. Right now, however, that just doesn't work for me. So I continue to eat meat and ask for forgiveness.

I can't do it all in one day, but I'm incorporating Ahimsa into my life a little at a time. Some things are easy, and some are hard, but that's part of the journey.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nadine! I love this post. I agree with you, it takes time and a little at a time is better. I think ahimsa is also about patience and having patience for yourself and others. For me, it's being there and letting yourself or others live their lives without interference or what I like to say an autonomous life.

    Thanks for the post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, patience is definitely a part of Ahimsa. And letting other lives their lives is one of the hardest things (but such a great gift).

    ReplyDelete