Saturday, January 15, 2011

Yoga at Kiwanis Village

Yesterday I visited Kiwanis Village, a seniors community with various levels of care and accomodation. In Kiwanis Villa (supportive living) they offer Yoga classes for their residents. I offered to come in, observe and provide some feedback.

It was a great stretching class with some strengthening. Everything she was doing was well suited to the residents. There was lots of range of motion exercises and a big focus on breathing. I provided her some alternate exercises she could try and also some tweaks that could make it a little more Yoga. The residents seemed to really enjoy the class and were a great bunch of women.

Some people might think going to a seniors facility would be depressing, but I found Kiwanis Village just the opposite. The facility itself is really nice and modern. Every staff person I encountered (and every resident) was warm and friendly. There are activities like movies, manicures, outings, exercises. I admit while I was doing my stretching in the class, I thought "I want to be somewhere like this when I'm older".

Thank you to Kiwanis Village for having me in and I look forward to another visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment